As you may or may not know (probably the latter since we didn't know either!) today is Boxing Day in the United Kingdom! What does that mean, you ask? We're not really sure. We just know almost everything was closed today, just like yesterday. Actually my mom looked up some info on it and we wikipedia'd it. Here are the
detailsif you want to know more.
Craig, Deja, and I had a very nice Christmas. We spent Christmas Eve in Cambridge showing Deja the sites and went to the Cambridge Corn Exchange and saw Snow White on Ice. The Corn Exchange is a theater venue which used to be the building that they traded corn in. Here is us in front of the River Cam and punting boats. A popular thing to do in Cambridge is to go punting, it is similar to riding in the gondolas in Venice. Basically you use a big giant stick to move the boat up and down the river. We are waiting until it is warmer to go!
We spent Christmas day watching bad made-for-tv Christmas movies that Deja LOVED (ok, I did too...), took a hike in the meadow across the river from us, and cooked a huge meal which we will probably be eating for the next two weeks. It was very tasty though! Craig even proclaimed, "You CAN cook!" Ha! Deja made quite the haul from Santa, her grandparents, aunts and uncles, and the tooth fairy! It was pretty cute because Deja lost a tooth and she was so excited that the tooth fairy and Santa would be coming on the same night. Craig and I thought, geez we better not screw this one up, talk about pressure! We did well though and she was happy, as evidenced below:
We had a fun time and we are thankful to be together during the holiday season, but we missed our friends and family who were celebrating with each other back in DC and Minnesota.
On an odd note, the other day we stopped at a little restaurant to get something to eat and I mentioned to the waiter that we had just moved from the US. When we were walking out of the restaurant later on two customers said, "Ahh duck and cover! Americans are coming!" So we were caught off guard, but I said, "Don't worry, we left our guns at home today" and just laughed it off. And one of the guys said, "Oh good, we don't want any B10 bombers flying through here either." So it was all a little weird, but I guess it goes to their perception that we are warmongers. I know that is the perception that some people around the world have of Americans, but to be confronted by it in that way was kind of disturbing. Maybe instead of making a joke I should have defended "us"? Or explained that not all Americans have guns and want to be invading other countries? Also, why did the waiter have the need to tell two random guys we were American? I mean we not THAT exotic, are we?
No comments:
Post a Comment